Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Gluten Free, Dairy Free Chicken Pot Pie Recipe

This gluten free and dairy free recipe can be made to be a vegan, chicken or turkey pot pie. I chose to make the classic chicken pot pie. To go vegan, take out the meat & use almond or soy milk.  You can even eat this without the crust if you're really watching calories!


Chicken Pot Pie is definitely one of my favorite comfort foods. With cooler weather quickly approaching, I was determined to find a gluten free and dairy free version that satisfied my cravings for crumbly crust and creamy chicken filling. This pot pie recipe (especially the crust!) gives gluten a run for its money. I used the pot pie recipe from the blog Gluten Free Easily - and changed some things to make it my own. Feel free to add whatever spices and veggies you love.

Gluten Free & Dairy Free Chicken Pot Pie
Timing:
For those who don't cook often, there are a lot of steps... this took me around 2 hours (keep in mind new recipes always take longer to make & I take a lot of pictures during the process) - so plan on around 90 minutes, plus 55+ minutes to cook.

Filling:
1 medium onion, diced up
5 carrots, peeled and diced
5 potatoes, washed, peeled, and diced into 1/2-inch chunks
1 tsp dried parsley
1/4 tsp ground thyme
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp peppercorn medley, ground
2 1/2 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth for vegan version)
1 cup frozen peas
1 ½ cups cooked turkey or chicken, diced or cut into small pieces (take out for vegan version)
Cooking oil, divided—3 tbsp cooking oil, 2 tbsp cooking oil (I used extra virgin olive oil)
1/3 cup gluten-free flour mix** (or sweet rice flour or potato flour)
1 cup milk, dairy or non-dairy (I use unsweetened soy or almond milk)

Optional :
3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1 cup baby lima beans 


Crust:
1 cup gluten-free flour mix**
3/4 tsp sea salt

1 ¼ tsp baking powder 
1 cup milk, dairy or non-dairy (I use unsweetened soy or almond milk)


**I use my usual gluten-free flour mix from Silvana's cookbook: Cooking for Isaiah or you can use any gluten free flour like sweet rice flour or potato flour. If you haven't found a gluten free flour that works well for you yet, I really recommend making a big batch of Silvana's flour - I use it for cookies, pizza, cake, etc.
Ingredients!


Directions:
Prep work first! Spice up your chicken (salt, pepper, galic, parsley, etc) and let it marinate while you complete the prep work. Then, prep the potatoes and the veggies. Clean, peel, and dice them.  Then, mix 3 tablespoons EVOO and add spices.

In large, deep skillet, heat 3 tablespoons oil & add onions, carrots, potatoes, parsley, thyme, sea salt, and pepper.  Allow to cook on medium-low or medium heat until veggies are softened.  About 10-15 minutes. While the veggie are simmering- cook the chicken!!


Then put the veggies mix into a bigger pot, then add the chicken broth and bring to a boil.  Allow mixture to simmer for 2 minutes, then add peas & cook until tender (about 5 minutes.)



Preheat oven to 375.  In a saucepan, mix the 1/3 cup flour & 2 tablespoons oil until blended & heat on medium-low a minute until thickened.  Add the milk gradually to make a white sauce. When the mixture is almost thickened, add to the veggies mix.  Stir in turkey or chicken if desired. When mixture is thickened nicely, pour into a greased casserole dish or pie plate.

In same saucepan as used before, whisk together crust ingredients: flour, salt, baking powder, and milk. Pour over top of filling in casserole dish or pie plate.  Even out the topping with a spatula, note quite going to the edge of the dish (leaving this space allows venting). **We usually end up making twice the pie crust to spread around because we love the extra crust! Place pot pie into oven and bake for 55+ minutes or until crust is lightly browned.

Let me know if you try this recipe or any other vegan/turkey/veggie options.  I would love to try out different versions and if you'd like to share, we will post your version!
-Stephanie

7 comments:

  1. I am makeing this today!!! YUM :)
    Thank you for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! How did the recipe go? Which way did you make it?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This can definitely serve a family of 5 for one dinner. Husband and I make the vegan version and it's enough for the two of us, plus leftovers for 2 more meals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this for myself. It lasted me days! Tasted really good but I may add a few more spices next time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just put it in the oven! I can't wait, this is my favorite comfort food! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! This meal was FANTASTIC!!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete